Originally Published in MLN Connects
On July 29, CMS issued a final rule (CMS-1652-F) outlining FY 2017 Medicare payment rates and wage index and the Hospice Quality Reporting Program (QRP) for hospices serving Medicare beneficiaries. As finalized, hospices would see a 2.1 percent ($ 350 million) increase in their payments for FY 2017 (reflecting an estimated 2.7 percent inpatient hospital market basket update, reduced by a 0.3 percentage point productivity adjustment and a 0.3 percentage point adjustment required by law).
Changes to the Hospice QRP:
• Provides a description of the Hospice CAHPS® Survey and outlines participation requirements for the FY 2019 and FY 2020 annual payment updates
• Finalizes two new quality measures for FY 2017
• CMS expects to begin public reporting hospice quality measures via a Compare site in CY 2017
Enhanced Data Collection:
• CMS is considering enhancing the current Hospice Item Set (HIS) data collection instrument to be more in line with other post-acute care settings
• This revised data collection instrument would be a comprehensive patient assessment instrument, rather than the current chart abstraction tool
For More Information:
• Final Rule will become effective on October 1, 2016
• Hospice Center website
See the full text of this excerpted CMS fact sheet (issued July 29).
The Medical Management Institute – MMI – Medical Coding News & MMI Updates